Dependency loops considered harmful?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 21:42:50 UTC 2008

Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 13:07 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Seth Vidal wrote:
>>> Okay this is obviously just Proof code so take it as read - but grab
>>> this script:
>>>
>>> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/remove-recurse.py
>>>
>>> and run it with one arg being the pkg you wish to remove. It will print
>>> out what it would end up doing if it was removed.
>>>
>>> for example:
>>>
>>> # python remove-recurse.py easytag
>>> remove easytag
>>> removing id3lib-3.8.3-20.fc9.i386 b/c it is not required by anything
>>> else
>>> removing libmp4v2-1.5.0.1-6.fc9.i386 b/c it is not required by anything
>>> else
>>> libmp4v2.i386 0-1.5.0.1-6.fc9 - e
>>> id3lib.i386 0-3.8.3-20.fc9 - e
>>> easytag.i386 0-2.1-5.fc9 - e
>>>

>>> It doesn't actually change anything, just prints out what would happen.
>>> then tell me which (and I'm sure there  are many) cases it doesn't
>>> properly address.
>>> -sv
>>>

>> [badger at Clingman tmp]$ sudo ./remove-recurse.py yum
>> [...]
>> removing pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386 b/c it is not required by anything else
>> removing python-iniparse-0.2.3-3.fc9.noarch b/c it is not required by
>> anything else
>>
>> As it turns out, I personally need both of these deps.  I have a script
>> in ~/bin/ that uses pygpgme.  I also am working on fas in a local
>> checkout which requires pygpgme.  And I'm evaluating python-iniparse and
>> python-configobj to see which one I'm going to be using for some fedora
>> infrastructure scripts.
>>
>> So -- I like having a script that can remove things recursively.  Even
>> better if I could do:
>>   sudo remove-recurse.py yum --exclude pygpgme
>>
>> I just wouldn't want this kind of thing to be automatic or to be the
>> default when I do "yum remove"
>>

> I mostly agree. I sorta think that _maybe_ your case is becoming more of
> the edge case and a lot more folks want to remove all the things that
> just got dragged in when they ran: yum install this_really_cool_thing
>
> So, if there were an option to let you disable leaf removal would that
> work out?

Depends.  I'd much rather have::
  yum remove (-r|-R|--recursive) this_really_cool_thing

than::
  yum remove --no-recursive this_really_cool_thing

But maybe that's just the positive me.

If it goes in /etc/yum.conf then either one could be the default.  A
setting in a config file can be scripted in a kickstart, deployed by
puppet, or set by an individual user once and then forgotten.

-Toshio