Anaconda install - conflicts over ifcfg-eth0

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Fri Sep 5 08:18:17 UTC 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 7:25 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> Executive version: I am preparing a package that provides an
> ifcfg-eth0 file - and finding that Anaconda overwrites it...
>
> If the package says %config{noreplace}
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 then anaconda installs the
> file as an .rpmnew file. On the other hand, if I remove the
> '{noreplace}' option, anaconda writes an .rpmorig file with its
> settings _and also_ overwrites the ifcfg-eth0 file. The result is that
> cmp ifcfg-eth0{,.rpmorig}  is true.
>
> This looks to me like an anaconda bug :-/ Are there reasonable ways to
> make this work? Can I tell anaconda that the network config used
> during install is _not_ to be saved permanently?
>
> As a workaround, I can overwrite the file on %post but that gets
> nastier...
>
> Note! This package is not meant for Fedora proper, naturally. It is a
> configuration package for the OLPC School Server, with (mostly) good
> reasons to do the wild things it does :-)

For what you are doing, you should look in to using kickstart to
prepare a custom installation for your environment (if you haven't
done that already).  Anaconda always writes the ifcfg-DEVICE files
based on the information provided during installation.  If you need to
override this, use %post in kickstart.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>