Heads-up: libdap and libnc-dap updates

orion at cora.nwra.com orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Sep 5 14:22:33 UTC 2008

> Hello,
>
> I would like to update libnc-dap to the latest version, and for that it
> requires a more recent libdap, which is both ABI and API incompatible.
> libnc-dap should be ABI compatible.
>
> My proposal, to avoid having to rebuild everything at once and provide
> for an easy upgrade path is to provide a compat package:
> http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/dumas/fc-srpms/libdap3710-3.7.10-1.fc10.src.rpm
> http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/dumas/fc-srpms/libdap3710.spec
>
> Does it looks good?
>
> I don't want to do devel compat package, I don't think it is needed,
> and this compat package should be removed in F12 or so.
>
> I will do the submission if no one raises issues.
>
> After that, it would be nice if application linked against libnc-dap
> would be rebuilt, since libnc-dap now uses pckgonfig and previously it
> was possible that it added spurious link on unneeded libraries, leading
> to unneeded dependencies.
>
> I cannot provide a list of packages dependent on libdap-devel and
> libc-dap-devel since repoquery crashes here.

Users:

libdap:
bes/bes.spec:BuildRequires:  libdap-devel >= 3.7.10
dap-freeform_handler/dap-freeform_handler.spec:BuildRequires:
libdap-devel >= 3.7.10
dap-hdf4_handler/dap-hdf4_handler.spec:BuildRequires:   libdap-devel >=
3.7.5 hdf-devel
dap-netcdf_handler/dap-netcdf_handler.spec:BuildRequires:   libdap-devel
>= 3.7.10 netcdf-devel
dap-server/dap-server.spec:BuildRequires:   libdap-devel >= 3.7.10
gdal/gdal.spec:BuildRequires: jasper-devel cfitsio-devel hdf-devel
libdap-devel librx-devel
libnc-dap/libnc-dap.spec:BuildRequires: libdap-devel >= 3.7.3 gcc-gfortran

libnc-dap (shouldn't need work, right?):
grads/grads.spec:BuildRequires:  libnc-dap-devel
ncl/ncl.spec:BuildRequires:  g2clib-devel, libnc-dap-devel, librx-devel,
atlas-devel
nco/nco.spec:BuildRequires:  netcdf-devel, libnc-dap-devel
octave-forge/octave-forge.spec:BuildRequires:  ImageMagick-c++-devel
libnc-dap-devel pcre-devel gsl-devel

Seems pretty small, and you already seem to maintain many (most) of them.
How hard would it be to port to the new libdap and just skip the compat
package?  I've CC'ed Balint who maintains gdal.  I maintain ncl.

- Orion