Dependency loops considered harmful?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 5 22:48:30 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I'm not trying to solve the 'install-less' workflow; the benefit from
>> that is IMO considerably less than the workflow *I* have, which I
>> illustrated above. (In fact, the only benefit at that point is
>> dependency marking. File tracking is irrelevant, and if you haven't
>> installed, you aren't providing anything, so you have only one of the
>> three benefits to rpm installs.)
>
> Exactly!  Which is why your solution isn't really an answer for pruning
> leaf packages.

Sure it is :-). It just only helps if you "install" the stuff that needs
whatever packages would otherwise get pruned ;-).

Although that's somewhat beside the point, since I did rather try to
drag the thread off on a (related) tangent.

However, it doesn't address -devel packages; for that I think you would
need some form of SRPM (and you would absolutely want those to be
user-owned, so we've still got the problem of a "system"/root rpm db and
one or more user rpm db's). There's overlap...

--
Matthew
On the internet, no one knows you're a cat...