Proposal: Split Fedora into sub-distributions

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Sep 7 18:41:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 07:09:50AM -0400, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but I think it's time Fedora stops trying to become
> another Debian, and starts catering to the groups that comprise it.

I just want to knock this silly idea on the head.  In my opinion there
should be no limits on how many packages get included in Fedora
Everything[i], except two: (1) It should be Free software that
complies with the guidelines and (2) Someone should be willing to put
in the time to maintain it.

Whenever there's a package which is missing, some user will say 'Oh
but it's in Debian' (along with all that other stuff) so I might as
well use Debian.  Unfortunately the mix of packages is different for
each user, so you have to have them all.

Rich.

[i] Packages which make it onto a CD/DVD/spin/mirrors is quite a
different matter of course.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v