Proposal: Split Fedora into sub-distributions

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Sun Sep 7 20:14:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 15:57 -0400, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> > and I'm officially speaking for the entire
> > genius subculture when I say i/we (for we share a hive mind to some
> > extent)  like things to work when I/we take them out of the box.
>
> Sure... until we wish to tinker. [...]

Please explicate this further. I, for one, love to tinker with my
system; and Fedora's strictly-organized packaging makes this vastly
simpler since I can just do similarly for my own things and know with
near-absolute certainty that it won't harm my system.

> > -jef"Or do i mean certifiable"spaleta
>
> I think you mean Certifiably Insane... since the vast majority of
> Geniuses in the world (past or present) have been/are clinically insane.

"Vast majority" and "All" are not logically equivalent. To put it
differently: correlation does not imply causation.

Just for fun, let's do this with a syllogism: If J (Jef) is a member of
the set G (all geniuses), and G is a partial subset of C (that is, a
vast majority of the elements in G are also in the set C -
certifiably-insane people), then there is not enough information in this
system to deductively infer that J is also a member of the set C. This
is because J being a member of the set G only makes it *likely*, but not
*certain*, that J is such.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479