Proposal: Split Fedora into sub-distributions

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 19:07:17 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Emmanuel Seyman
> <emmanuel.seyman at club-internet.fr> wrote:
>
>> Please stop calling people who want things to work out of the box idiots.
>> They're not.
>>

> I'm a certified genius... and I'm officially speaking for the entire
> genius subculture when I say i/we (for we share a hive mind to some
> extent)  like things to work when I/we take them out of the box. That
> way when I/we take then apart and try to put the back together I know
> whether or not I've succeeded in my goal by using the initial
> functionality as a baseline reference.
>

> -jef"Or do i mean certifiable"spaleta

Certainly, but that's not to say there isn't an "idiot" class of users
we need to worry about.

It isn't so much people who want things to just work. Its people who
need to be protected from their own computer. Its an interesting
question: do we want to pursue the same demographic as Nigerian scam
artists? People who approach their machines the way early cave men must
have first approached fire? People who, in the new age of ecommerce and
scam artists, are posing a very real, tangible danger to themselves when
they approach their computers?

If so, what kind of OS serves this person? Is something more like the
Sugar interface appropriate? What can we do to help?

I think one good thing that could come of all this is better marketing
and advertising of spins. We need more spins to be promoted as heavily
as our main product. That way a spin that knows how to reach a niche
audience can develop a community of its own, rather than simply existing
quietly in Fedora's shadow.

--CJD