make force-tag gone

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Sep 9 15:06:24 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 05:14:00 am Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I'm pretty sure it was discussed before, and I forcefully ignored it
> thinking people would realise it was a bad idea to drop it.
>
> It's just that it's making us look like idiots in the changelogs, having
> to bump release for something like that:
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/gvfs/devel/gvfs.spec?r1=1.69&r2=1.
>70

to ensure GPL compliance and that we can always reproduce we have said for
awhile now that tags will eventually be made immutable

I had missed that Mike Bonnet had added it,  if it had been caught it would
have been removed sooner.

I would love someone to help here.   adding checks to makefile.common  check
that all patches are commited and that source is updated and commited.  AFAIK
these are the most common reasons people force a tag and the closest thing to
a valid reason for forcing a tag.

when we tag we should be sure that the build is fine and going to build. thats
why we have targets like mockbuild   other targets to help test things are
always welcome.

Dennis