make force-tag gone

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 17:39:06 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 3:40 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> Scratch builds are not a solution, as there's no way to turn a scratch build
>> into a non-scratch one without resubmitting the build from scratch (no pun
>> intended) as a non-scratch one, which wastes both my time and Koji's resources.
>
> Is that a hard impossibility or a soft impossibility?  As in... can a
> reasonable amount of technnical work be done to make it possible to
> turn a scratch build into a non-scratch build and associate a cvs tag
> with it without doing the full rebuild from scratch?
>
> Such a facility would be the logical next step as a counter balance to
> immutable tagging.

I'm not a koji dev but here's roughly what would need to happen:

1) koji gets request to build HEAD.
2) koji checks out HEAD and records the cvs versions of each file that
corresponds to.
3) koji scratch builds and associates the version info with the scratch
build.
4) Package maintainer gets back a success on the scratch build.
Installs and tests.
5) Package maintainer requests that koji mark scratch build as non-scratch.
6) koji checks out the versions of the files that it has recorded for
that scratch build.
7) koji attempts to tag the files with the proper immutable build tag.
8a) on success, koji changes the db records so the input comes from the
tag instead of the collection of versions for the files.
8b) on failure (for instance, someone else has used that tag), koji
tells the package maintainer it was unable to move the scratch build to
the tag.

-Toshio