PackageKit 0.3.2 in rawhide

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:09:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 10:48 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Please can you try out this new release and report any bugs you find
> either in bugzilla or by emailing the packagekit mailing list. The big
> new feature of this release is a new dispatcher, which should improve
> the interactivity of GUI applications as the yum instance is reused
> rather than re-loaded each time. There's also the usual set of bugfixes
> too.

Also, there's a nice little test that I would like people to try:

do "pkcon refresh" to make sure you're up to date

Edit /etc/PackageKit/PackageKit.conf and enable the
RefreshCacheScanDesktopFiles and RefreshCacheUpdatePackageList keys.

then do "pkcon refresh" and tell me roughly how long it takes before the
gpk-update-icon process (the box icon in the top right) stops reporting
searches.

Enabling the two commands creates the package list which is used for
auto-completion in gpk-application, and it also enables the icons and
translations used in the various client tools.

If it doesn't take ages (it's pretty CPU demanding) then I'll enable it
by default for F10.

Richard.