Boot speedup with readahead

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 10 20:46:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 16:16 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> Please remember that people use packaging tools for more than simple
> system maintenance; for example, I use an image-builder which is now
> based on smart (even though it was originally based on yum) because
> smart is more convenient for some of my programmatic use cases [1].

I think I'd like to look at those use cases in more detail. If there's
anything that can be done in smart's interface that isn't doable in via
the yum python modules I'd be curious to know about it (excluding sudoku
b/c I just don't care)

> [1]: In particular,
> because of its programmable mirror system,
- how much more programmable do you want than being able to modify the
mirrorlist directly per repo?

> priority system,
available in a yum plugin - though questionably useful to begin with.

> support for alternate package formats,
not sure how this helps fedora.

> built-in ability to download packages,
yum can clearly download pkgs - not sure why it being built in rather
than a plugin matters though.

Also you can download directly if you're using the yum modules.

> builtin ability to save URLs for the packages it is going to download,
see above.

> strictness options, etc.)

strictness of what?

explain a bit more about the features you're looking for and I'll see
what I can do to help.

-sv