Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 14:20:33 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 15:51:51 jeff wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:

My own Acer Aspire One arrived two days ago. Its got rawhide on it now.
Needless to say, we don't boot quite as fast as the stock Linpus Linux Lite,
but I definitely prefer a full-fledged Fedora install.

> For the eee 701/900 i think just about everything is supported in stock
> f9-updates kernel except wifi. On the 900 with 1 gig of RAM something as
> large as gnome runs well, but something more lightweight is preferable of
> course. Once the ath5k driver is there, using NetworkManager is a treat and
> *really* "just works".
[...]
> > Luckily, wifi should be in for 2.6.27, although I need to actually try a
> > newer image on my ar2425 based box.  I'll probably do that when I get
> > home (since that's where it is)
>
> ar2425 support is in 2.6.27, but I haven't seen the extra patches that are
> needed for the eee 701/900 (ath5k) arrive there yet. mickflemms' patchset-8
> applies without too much hassle.

The AR2425 in the AAO works quite nicely with current rawhide kernels. I've
been able to connect it to both WPA2- and WEP-protected base stations just
fine. That said, I think I'm still going to yank it out in favor of a spare
iwl5350 I have laying about when I crack the thing open to put more memory in
tonight.

The only things I've noticed that are a bit quirky are some video artifacts
when running an external monitor and some dmesg spew about interrupts from the
jmb38x_ms driver when using SD cards (haven't tried any other type), but both
do still function.

Suspend and resume works w/o a hitch as well.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com