Feature Proposal: Use cases database

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 17:22:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 16:41 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Bandwidth and disk space are cheap.
>
> They're not.

Cost of me downloading a 24Mb open office clipart package =
 = £20/month (takes 7 minutes to download)
 = 0.3 pence

Cost of diskspace
 = £120 / 80Gb
 = 3.5 pence

Cost of me spending 5 minutes setting up clipart for my mum:
 = £20 / hour
 = £1.67

> >> Think your latex man is interested in installing megs of fonts for
> >> languages he does not type? (how do you decide beforehand which
> >> language a latex user will want to type)
> >
> > You don't, you patch the latex program to install it's own font when
> > it's first used in a document (trivial).
>
> Only works if either your user is working on someone else's document
> that specifies this font, or if he knows the font beforehand. Normal
> users need to have fonts installed before they think to use them.

latex files are compiled from .tex to .pdf, and the compiler knows exactly what filename it needs.

Richard.