Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Sep 12 19:43:02 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton writes:
> I have a lot of seemingly pulse audio related issues on my F9 desktop.
> Since  I really like the idea behind Pulseaudio, I would like to see
> these get sorted out, and would like to know how I can help in terms
> of providing useful information.

Well, let me step up to say that I feel the same way. Pulse Audio holds
great promise for accessibility, but it ain't working out in practice
yet. And, some of us are scratching our heads as to how we get from here
to there.

The problems we have right now are sufficiently sever to be
showstoppers. At the SpeakupModified.Org we recommend disabling
pulseaudio. As things stand in F-9, one gets no audio until after a user
logs in on the GUI. So, how are those who need screen reader support
supposed to use the a11y features of GDM? As it stands, there seems no
way to get console audio without that GUI login. Also a nonstarter in
the screen reader user community.

It seems a useful initial step toward resolution is to run pulseaudio
as a system daemon, via an init script, /sbin/service, /sbin/chkconfig.
The trade-offs vs the per user model that F-9 employs are probably more
than acceptable to most a11y users.

So, let me simply ask ... Has anyone a working init script for
pulseaudio as a system daemon? Anything close that we could continue to
refine as an alternative configuration option for Fedora?

Janina

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina at a11y.org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina at a11y.org
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org