Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Sep 13 17:27:09 UTC 2008

Colin Walters writes:
> As I understood it, pulse as a system daemon was at least partially by
> the desire to use it on a console, outside of a normal X login (and
> all the infrastructure that comes with X, like the DBus session bus
> which defines the session).

That's one use case. Someone here had another use case that was GUI.
There are probably additional use cases, and pulseaudio.org lays out
advantages and disadvantages of per user vs daemon mode.

The need is to support all the legitimate use cases. At this point I
would be happy with a pointer to a reasonably similar init script as a
starting point.

I know you don't care about consoles--I got that. But, I do, and
apparently I'm not alone. Surely the Fedora tent is big enough.

PS: Speaking strictly personally, I runlevel 5 by default. I like it
that way. I'm thrilled to finally have an up to date browser in Firefox
3, which is working very well with Orca, thank you. And, I'm using Open
Office more and more.

But, I still launch 24 consoles when I boot, because I actually use most
of them in very specific ways. About 6 of these 24 run screen with 9
separate terminal windows defined by ~/.screenrc. I don't see gnome
terminal replacing that anytime soon.

Yes, I'm familiar with gnome terminal. I'm reduced to it, and reduced to
gedit, when I have to run my laptop all day long on batteries, meaning
that I suspend frequently. Because of issues between the TTS engine
driver and alsa, I can't effectively resume consoles right now--screen
appears to be full of null chars, which rather defeats the screen
reader.

I get by with terminal, and gedit for notes, but it's a case of getting
by. No way can I replicate my rapid, key-combination-based random access
to the various tasks I park in particular consoles on gnome-terminal,
when all I have to allow cycling among them is Alt+TAB or maybe a series
of desktop shortcuts. That would be too slow and inefficient, in my
experience to date.

Janina