Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Sep 15 12:04:57 UTC 2008

On Monday, 15 September 2008 at 13:39, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Lun 15 septembre 2008 12:57, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski a écrit :

> >> Mid-term that wouln't be such a bad idea.
> >
> > One would have to say why it is a good idea in the first place.
>
> Simply put, non-X-console input is a mess (X input is a mess too but
> at least there are people trying to fix it), non-X-console font
> support has fossilized, and support for modern high resolution screens
> is severely lacking.

That doesn't make it useless, nor is grounds for removal. Admittedly
it is not something people use on a daily bases (even if I do know
a few who do), but it still has its applications.

> The console has not evolved for a long time, while text requirements
> have gone up. At this point a dumbed down text-only X session is
> probably the only credible console future (or something that is not X
> at all but uses many libraries we associate with apps now).

Irrelevant. I'm not saying the text mode console has to have the
same usability as a full-screen terminal emulator running on X.

> Non-X-console state is so bad nowadays I don't bother reporting bugs
> on it. Even if they are fixed they always reappear the next Fedora
> cycle. There is simply not enough console users and console
> developpers to do anything but life support anymore.

I don't know of any bugs that prevent me or my colleagues from using
the text mode console. That's not to say they don't exist, but I've
never heard of any problems with the console either personally or from
my colleagues.

> And that's ok. Do remember that X was defined at a time hardware was
> vastly less powerful and core X is not wasteful at all. Compared to
> how the rest of the system has bloated, X is definitely lean and mean.

That doesn't mean you have to disable the text mode console.

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
"Faith manages."