Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Sep 15 14:07:03 UTC 2008

On Monday, 15 September 2008 at 14:26, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Lun 15 septembre 2008 14:04, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski a écrit :
> >
> > On Monday, 15 September 2008 at 13:39, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >>

> >> The console has not evolved for a long time, while text requirements
> >> have gone up. At this point a dumbed down text-only X session is
> >> probably the only credible console future (or something that is not
> >> at all but uses many libraries we associate with apps now).
> >
> > Irrelevant. I'm not saying the text mode console has to have the
> > same usability as a full-screen terminal emulator running on X.
>
> That may be irrelevant for you but that's not irrelevant for me both
> as a console user and as someone who is an upstream maintainer for my
> language of some of the bits the console use.

Read the second sentence again.

> The separation between the X text stack and the console text stack is
> not worth the maintenance burden. As evidenced by the fact the
> maintenance part of the console text stack (even as
> iso-functionnality) is not done properly anymore.

Please point to the evidenced fact.

> >> Non-X-console state is so bad nowadays I don't bother reporting bugs
> >> on it. Even if they are fixed they always reappear the next Fedora
> >> cycle. There is simply not enough console users and console
> >> developpers to do anything but life support anymore.
> >
> > I don't know of any bugs that prevent me or my colleagues from using
> > the text mode console.
>
> Lucky you.
>
> > That's not to say they don't exist, but I've
> > never heard of any problems with the console either personally or from
> > my colleagues.
>
> So it works for you.
> OSS works for some people too.

Do you mean Open Source Software or Open Sound System? In case of OSS,
it's realy a shame, because it was (and still is) a great piece of software
with nice API and doesn't require any external libraries like ALSA.
But you can't compare console/X to OSS/ALSA. The latter provide functionality
on the same level, the former are completely different.

> >> And that's ok. Do remember that X was defined at a time hardware was
> >> vastly less powerful and core X is not wasteful at all. Compared to
> >> how the rest of the system has bloated, X is definitely lean and
> >> mean.
> >
> > That doesn't mean you have to disable the text mode console.
>
> Do you volunteer for maintening all the stuff text mode console relies
> on (fonts, layout definitions, etc)?

Please point me to what needs maintaining and I'll see if I can get
one of my colleagues to handle that.

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu