Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Mon Sep 15 14:26:40 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Simply put, non-X-console input is a mess (X input is a mess too but
> at least there are people trying to fix it), non-X-console font
> support has fossilized, and support for modern high resolution screens
> is severely lacking.

Me and some people around me use console often enough. Perhaps just by
habits. Including a habit to "a bigger letter", "less colors", "still
old monitors", "still wild country" etc.

There is only one big font issue for me, introduced since RHL8 -- switch
to 512-glyphs default console font (latarcyrheb). Such a font (when >
256 glyphs) leads to lack of some console colors. (The solution is to
use another console fonts, which are always present in system).

> The console has not evolved for a long time,

Perhaps all the efforts was focused on GUI (to reach windoze etc.), but
this does not mean that console (as well as "classical" cmdline
interface) is an unneeded thing to be supported in a general purpose
distro...

> Non-X-console state is so bad nowadays I don't bother reporting bugs
> on it.

Sad.

> There is simply not enough console users and console
> developpers to do anything but life support anymore.

At least 50% of my time is at console, not at X. I would not wish to
explain why I (still) use console and why, using it, I am not an idiot.
But I use it, hence I can help...

IMHO, the "not enough console users" is true for the current Fedora
environment, but not true *in general*. Considering (simplifying) Fedora
as RedHat employees (focused on GUI for market reasons) plus young
enthusiasts (who started their life from GUI), we see why we lack
console for now.

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy