Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Sep 15 15:48:18 UTC 2008

Le Lun 15 septembre 2008 17:32, Seth Vidal a écrit :

> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 16:42 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> > So because it doesn't work for you its not allowed to work for me?
>>
>> Just because it works for you does not mean it's healthy in general.
>>

> 'healthy in general'? I'd love to see how we determine that criteria.
>
> So, yah - let's not play this game, shall we?
>
> Here is my question:
>  - does the presence of the text console limit the ability for the X
> interfaces to work? I think the answer is no.
>  - does the presence of the text console make a considerable impact on
> the available development time of the poeple working on X? I'd have to
> see some numbers that say otherwise but the answer still feels like
> no.

We have all sorts of packaging rules designed to avoid hitting console
limitations and problems.

Every few months we have people filling bugs because the presence of
two text stacks confuses them and they don't understand why things
working in one do not work in the other (and that's the people who do
fill bugs. they tend to be from asian countries where people
under-report problems).

We have spin teams that do not install the default distro font set to
make room for stuff like the console, and then ask for help because it
broke X text on some locale.

So console support is not free for the rest of the distro. And I'd be
happy to applaud this cost, if someone actively maintained the console
(instead of playing the "touch nothing, if something broke that's the
distro fault" game).

--
Nicolas Mailhot