Non-X text mode console

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Mon Sep 15 20:01:10 UTC 2008

>> Blind or low vision people may prefer non-X mode consoles. And I think
>> there are other peoples with such prefernces too.

> For such use cases, an X terminal emulator such as gnome-terminal
> should be indistinguishable.  Except that all the OS infrastructure
> like DBus, sound, etc. will be available and work.

No.  An X terminal emulator is easily distinguishable from VGA text mode.
Sometimes the difference an asset, and sometimes it is a liability.
The 'screen' package is one example of software that can tell,
and almost no serious user of both has any difficulty telling them apart.

Also, "DBus, sound, etc." all can be used without X11.  Even a mouse
can be used without X11, and until some months ago this was the default.
(gpm and/or its usage changed.)