kernel-devel in "Fedora" spin?

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 00:58:09 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Back in December, I had made a change that blocked kernel-devel packages
> from winding up in the install media for the Fedora spin.  I don't
> recall getting any push back at the time, but I've gotten at least one
> angry comment since then.  So I'm putting it out for more discussion.
> Do we feel that the kernel-devel (5~megs) should be in the install
> media?

Yes please.  There's always new hardware we don't support yet, so some people
will need to build drivers just to get online and access the repos.  If we ship
it on the install media, it's much easier to distribute code that you're
reasonably confident will work on a new install.  If people have to hunt down
matching kernel and kernel-devel rpms, it's a moving target for people working
on these device drivers.

I'm not saying we should bend over backwards for out-of-tree drivers, but this
is precisely the scenario that determines the first impression for someone
trying this "Linux" thing on their shiny new bleeding-edge box, and it's pretty
easy to accomodate.

-- Chris