Non-X text mode console

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 02:24:01 UTC 2008

Chris Snook wrote:
> sean darcy wrote:
>> David A. Wheeler wrote:
>>> I routinely use text mode console without X, for a
>>> variety of reasons.  For example:
>>> * I have a number of systems (servers) at runlevel 3
>>> * console is critically important when X fails. "Log in with ssh"
>>>   doesn't work when ssh or the network fails.
>>
>> Have I missed something...big? If I can't ssh into those boxes, can't
>> I have someone just use the console in person? Some of these boxes are
>> ooold - 600mhz 256mb, which BTW, works superbly at runlevel 3. X would
>> be a real strain, and is generally not even installed.
>>
>> Tell me it ain't so.
>>
>> sean
>>

> It ain't so.  This is a gross misunderstanding of the fact that we're
> moving to using a kernel framebuffer by default, like some distros did
> almost a decade ago.  And you can opt out with 'nomodeset' on the boot
> command line, to get the old vga BIOS framebuffer.
>
> -- Chris

So if I have a box set to runlevel 3 without any kernel parameters,
what's on the monitor? Nothing?

How do I tell a tech to get to grub.conf and change the kernel
parameter? ( I can imagine this phone call!)

Or does the tech reboot ( hard, ctl-alt-del? ) and edit from the grub
screen?

Or does the kernel framebuffer display on the monitor? If so, that's
fine. I don't care about fonts or pretty colors. A simple command line
is OK.

sean