The state of resolv.conf

Andrea Dell'Amico adellam at sevenseas.org
Tue Sep 16 14:38:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 16:15 +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:

> Yes, it will be nice feature to use the closest nameserver. But it is
> very difficult to get this information automatically (if you are
> using "static" nameserver configuration you could configure forward
> zones and it will work well).
>
> One solution, in theory, might be use information from DHCP:
> - get per-device DHCP information and export it (NM)
> - get "preferred" domains from search/domain directives from DHCP
> - for that domains use servers whose are on same network interface as
>   domain
>
> With reverse lookups situation is far more difficult - I can't see
> any solution how get potential per-interface candidates from DHCP.

In the past (F7 time?), bind had a dbus interface, never accepted
upstream and so removed, that could be used to specify which nameserver
we wanted as main forwarders.
That feature permitted a configuration where bind was configured with
static forwarders for my vpn networks, and used as forwarders the name
servers passed by my dhcp server.
In /etc/resolv.conf I had only 127.0.0.1

It wasn't the optimum solution, but it was better than the actual
situation.

> Adam
>
> --
> Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

ciao
andrea
--
"Thinking meat! You're asking me to believe in thinking meat!"
- Terry Bisson <http://www.terrybisson.com/meat.html>