scratch-build on untagged code [Was: Re: Proposal: Better force-tag]

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 18:11:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 10:47 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Actually... this is easily solved with tags that are generated by the
> system per build-request.  If make build and make scratch-build
> automatically tagged, there wouldn't be any problem here.  Instead of
> adding a make target for scratch-tags, take away make tag.

You're also talking about two distinct uses of scratch-build.

There is a scratch-build where you want to test something that either
doesn't exist in Fedora yet, or changes you don't want committed yet.
This is where building from srpm and not from SCM is important.

Then there is a scratch-build where you just want to test that what
you've committed actually works, and this is usually done by just
building and cleaning up anything that fails.  This build requires that
content be in SCM and come from a CVS URL.  We /prefer/ this tag not be
#HEAD, and that the tag comes from 'make tag'.  However there isn't
anything that enforces this.  The only "enforcement" is that the CVS url
provided... works.

There is a build type that can be done, that doesn't immediately result
in a build being tagged.  It's a normal build in every way, it comes
from a CVS url, its tracked through the system, the results are
imported.  However the last step, the tag step, is skipped.  This means
the build exists in the "system" but it is as of yet not tagged for any
collection.  This would allow the submitter to attempt a build, test the
results, and make a decision after the fact as to if it's suitable to be
published via a tag.  --skip-tag is the option to koji build, I don't
believe we have that hooked up into the Make system at all.

Some of the problems with it is that it's very easy to do the build and
forget to later tag, or do the build and accidentally tag into the wrong
collection.  That said, the value of being able to do a trial build,
test it as functional, and stamp your approval on it is pretty high.

None of that though helps the case where the build fails and you wish to
alter something without progressing the n-v-r.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!