[ANNOUNCE] Fedora MinGW - Windows cross-compiler for Fedora

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Sep 21 16:10:40 UTC 2008

[This project is still at a draft stage, but since we've put together
a test repository, hopefully people can now very easily try out what
we've been working on].

What is MinGW?
MinGW is a C and C++ cross-compiler, based on gcc, that targets
Windows.

What is Fedora MinGW?

The Fedora MinGW project's mission is to provide an excellent
development environment for Fedora users who wish to cross-compile
their programs to run on Windows, minimizing the need to use Windows
at all.  In the past developers have had to port and compile all of
the libraries and tools they have needed, and this huge effort has
happened independently many times over.  We aim to eliminate
duplication of work for application developers by providing a range of
libraries and development tools which have already been ported to the
cross-compiler environment.  This means that developers will not need
to recompile the application stack themselves, but can concentrate
just on the changes needed to their own application.

Compiling applications

Many applications can be compiled simply by installing any dependent
mingw-* libraries and doing:

  ./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32

Most will need to be changed, ranging from simple changes to large
scale ports.  Some resources which can help with porting are:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/
  http://www.mingw.org/
  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/win32-porting/

How to get Fedora MinGW?

Our temporary test repository (Fedora/x86-64 only):
  http://www.annexia.org/tmp/mingw/

To use it, create a file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ containing:
  [mingw]
  name=MinGW
  baseurl=http://www.annexia.org/tmp/mingw/
  enabled=1