anyone interested in tpb? (was Re: No more MAKEDEV?)

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 20:25:11 UTC 2008

2008/9/19 Jon Ciesla <limb at jcomserv.net>:

>> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 10:40 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>> Would anyone care to take over tpb? Or does anyone even use it these
>>> days? Perhaps we can just drop it?
>>
>> Vendor specific daemons such as tpb have been on the way out since we've
>> been moving the userspace bodges down into proper kernel frameworks.
>>
>> ThinkPads, just like any other model, should "just work" without any
>> special daemons installed.
>
> That would be ideal.  Are we to that point currently?  If so, I vote let
> it EOL.

FWIW, I no longer install tpb on my thinkpads as the
quirks/gnome-clever-stuff get better and more functional with each
release. So from a user perspective, this is now a Works Out Of The
Box experience and I see no problem with tpb being deprecated.

Regards

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com