recover from broken yum transaction

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:07:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org> wrote:
> Quoth Ralf Corsepius:
>> I am able to run yum (FC9) on an i586 w/ 64MB RAM and 256MB swap.
> Right, I run yum on a similar (i586, 128M of ram, plenty of swap) machine and
> it works great nowadays.

We're talking about OLPC's XOs - with 256 RAM and no swap. Our 'base
working set' is about half of that - so 128MB is all there is to play
with. We're trying hard to trim out base working set, but that's where
we are now (and some dev builds have been much more hoggish).

The kernel is a champ as long as there's memory. When memory pressure
kicks in it all turns nasty pretty quickly...

Anyway - I'm happy to test again in a more controlled test-case if
Seth wants it, but at first blush it looks like yum is not releasing
memory at a time when it could.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions