Instant Mirror Status...?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 03:51:52 UTC 2008

Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I currently manually set the proxy for this on each machine. Would be
>> nice is there was a zero-conf way of doing this, especially on a large
>> scale.
>
> There is - if you set up a private mirror in MirrorManager, then all
> requests from your netblock will be directed to said mirror. Or am I
> missing something?

What you are missing is that the people sharing a proxy shouldn't have
to know about each other or set anything up.  All they should have to do
is request the same URLs.

Why can't that happen automatically?  That is, within whatever blocks
geoip might consider 'near', arbitrarily select the first-choice mirror
based on the source IP range in a repeatable way.  That way everyone
behind the same proxy requests the same URL and the caching works
automatically.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com