pam_mount is still buggy

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 16:07:42 UTC 2008

W. Michael Petullo escreveu:
>> Of note is that pam_mount was working about 3 weeks ago... Except it
>> refused to unmount the volumes when user logged off.
>>

> I am no longer the maintainer of pam_mount (upstream or package), but I
> can address this part of your issue. The pam_mount module will not be able
> to unmount a home directory if processes still remain with open file
> descriptors in the directory. Last I looked, many user daemons (e.g.,
> gconf?) remained for a few seconds or minutes after a user logged out.
>
> If you look through GNOME and Red Hat's bugzilla, you will see a couple of
> examples of this that were fixed. You will also find some examples that
> were never fixed upstream.
>
> It used to be that you could instruct pam_mount to run lsof and log the
> output to help troubleshoot this. I don't know if this feature is still
> available, but it would identify which processes are causing the problem.
>
> Mike

Ok. I created an error report at bugzilla.
As I am not currently using GDM (the packed version is not manageable
enough... I couldn't find a way to disable the -nolisten in the X
server) but your observations about processes kept running while system
tries to unmount fs are true.

I regard this bug as severe but I got a little frustrated: either few
people uses "old fashioned" encrypted file systems or it is something
wrong the way I configured things...