specspo and PackageKit

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 14:38:51 UTC 2008

> seth vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 17:20 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > I'm just trying to comprehend how we'd generate this information for
> > > the repodata in any sort of sane manner, and failing miserably. You'd
> > > need to have every run of createrepo check out some source controlled
> > > translation directory, and munge it with intltool (aiyeeeeeeeee) into
> > > a separate translated XML file.
> >
> > No, you don't need to do it on every run of createrepo. You can do it
> > after the fact, if you want and then hit the repo with modifyrepo to add
> > the translation data. You could even have a separate
> > repomd-translation.xml which lists out the translation files available
> > and their checksums, etc.
> >
> > The whole point is specspo isn't useful on its own anymore. I understand
> > things we may do from here will take some work but specspo just takes up
> > space w/o providing any functionality at all afaict.
>
> You're specifically architecting a repodata-based solution to replace
> just what it does now. How is that 'w/o providing any functionality at
> all'?

 So there are two specific problems that I see, which have no good
solution with specspo:

1. sepcspo only solves the problem for Fedora, other repos. are very
much second class citizens.

2. Currently yum does operations based on the repodata, like search
etc. ... ergo. this isn't localized so you can't search for "Libreria
SELinux" or whatever.
 In theory you can fix this with specspo by loading all packages into
memory and doing the operations in python ... given how much PCP the
"yum is slow" people take, noone wants to do that fix.

...there are also a bunch of other minor problems, that probably could
be fixed with specspo but might well be easier to fix with something
else like:

1. specspo is often out of date (esp. problematic is if you change the
summary/description for a pacakge ... as you now need two translations
as someone might have the old version installed).

2. you have to download all langs with specspo

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat