multiple local X logins by same user

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:04:40 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 17:29:20 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> I don't *want* to access my existing session. I want to start a second,
> completely independent session^1. Firefox is nearly the only program I
> can think of that doesn't let me do this.

I put "firefox -Pfoo %u" in a panel icon, with different foo in different
places, and can start three different firefox instances (I have three screens,
and I often use them for different purposes e.g. if I need to log into our web
app under an admin and non-admin user ID at the same time ... this is extremely
useful for testing purposes).

It's kludgy, but it works. Perhaps even a script that created a profile based on
the display name? "firefox -Pprofile-%DISPLAY" might cut it, if anyone fancies
trying it.