please deactivate services by default!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 22:49:24 UTC 2008

Dimi Paun wrote:

>> Sendmail startup should only be slow if your dns is broken or you've
>> removed the localhost entry from your hosts file.  Either of those
>> needs to be fixed anyway.
>
> Give me a break. What naive user would know what to do with
> the thing? Even if it takes 200ms to load it's way too much.

Users typically don't do anything directly with sendmail but during an
install an alias for root should be set up so system messages reach
someone who cares about the things logwatch and smartctl will send.

I don't understand the point of making something only useful to naive
users.  They won't always stay naive forever.   And what's the point of
booting faster?  If you want speed, you want sleep/hibernate to work -
or just leave the machine on and give it something to do.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com