please deactivate services by default!

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 24 23:20:21 UTC 2008

Christoph � wrote:
>> I really hope I'm missing something...
>
> calm down! No one will break your system. In the worst case you would
> simply have to enable sendmail.

Ah... yeah. Good thing I read fedora-devel then, yes?

</sarcasm>

If an upgrade makes cron jobs stop working, or a new F10 system allows
creating cron jobs that won't run, that's a bug (a potentially grave
bug, at that, and IMO an unacceptable one).

The only way I'd accept this is if I can't get into the situation of
having a non-working cron job (that would otherwise work if sendmail was
around) is if I must /actively acknowledge/ (i.e. click or type "yes" in
response to) a warning that explains that sendmail is no longer active
by default and what adverse effects this has.

I shouldn't have to know to enable sendmail to maintain functionality
that I've had on Linux for decades, especially when we're talking about
causing critical system components (in this case, my backup process) to
suddenly not work.

Make sure it won't do that. Otherwise I will be very unhappy, yes? :-)

--
Matthew
I was recently amused by issuing 'rm -rf $KDEDIR'... from Konsole, while