please deactivate services by default!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 00:41:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 19:29 -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Actually, working by default for things like smartctl is also really
> important (I'd like to know if my HD is about to go belly-up, thank
> you!), but at least we have the excuse that smartctl never worked nicely
> to begin with.

But see, it doesn't "work by default".  By default (with sendmail) mail
is just dropped in /var/spool/mail/root.  The user is given no hint,
documentation, or otherwise notification that they may want to configure
some email client to subscribe to this, which is quite difficult as a
normal user to subscribed to /var/spool/mail/root .  Things certainly
don't "work by default".  If you're interested in them working by
default, I would suggest helping out the situation and ensuring that
this vastly important email is delivered to the user rather than some
spool file a user has no access to.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!