please deactivate services by default!

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Sep 25 10:12:49 UTC 2008

Le Jeu 25 septembre 2008 11:38, Bill Crawford a écrit :

> On Wednesday 24 September 2008 22:38:34 Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> said:
>> client
>> >
>> > You can install sendmail or some other server.
>>
>> If that's the expected way, then there should have been an
>> announcement
>> so everything that requires SMTP (like mutt) can be modified to have
>> "Requires: smtpdaemon".
>
> Surely the SMTP server isn't absolutely required to be on localhost? I
> never
> send any mail via localhost SMTP, it's all done through my company's
> mail
> servers or the Google ones for personal mail.

It's often simpler and more robust to have a local smtp that relays to
a specific ISP/company smtp.

1. This way when the relay smtp changes you only have to modify one
config instead of trawling through app configs for all the places
where the smtp server is specified.

2. Also an awful lot of applications have poor failure handling, so
having them pass mail to a local server that always work (and queues
mail transparently when the relay smtp is not available) helps a lot.

3. Lastly a local smtp can be used to pass mail through your own
filters, when you're not happy about the ISP ones, and don't want to
wait minutes for MUAs to process new mail every time your start them.

--
Nicolas Mailhot