rpms/postgresql/F-9 .cvsignore, 1.42, 1.43 postgresql-ac-version.patch, 1.2, 1.3 postgresql.spec, 1.96, 1.97 sources, 1.43, 1.44

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 17:04:02 UTC 2008

Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?= <devrim at CommandPrompt.com> writes:
> Hi Tom,
> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 14:51 +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
>> -Source17:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/postgresql-8.3.3-US.pdf
>> +Source17:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/postgresql-8.3.4-US.pdf

> This gives 404 -- you don't need to change URL. Just make it:
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/8.3/postgresql-8.3-US.pdf

Actually, I was just wondering who to complain to about that ...
and I think it's you ;-)

The decision to overwrite the same URL with new documentation updates
means that there is actually not any way for me to obey the source-URL
packaging guidelines with respect to the PG documentation.  If I point
to that URL in the 8.3.4 specfile, then the SRPM will stop matching the
upstream URL as soon as 8.3.5 comes out and someone overwrites the PDF
again.

Give each PDF version an honest permanent URL, and I'll link to it.

(I've also considered not treating the PDF as a source at all, but
generating it during RPM build; which would get me around the problem
that the docs aren't usually available when I need to build the RPMs.
But it'd increase the package build time rather horrendously.)

			regards, tom lane