please deactivate services by default!

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 25 20:22:22 UTC 2008

Christoph � wrote:

(What is the symbol in your name supposed to be, incidentally?
Thunderbird is rendering it as a ? in a diamond.)

> So Joe User, what are you doing with that mail? Is it just dropped
> in /var/spool...? Then you probably only want a /usr/bin/sendmail binary
> that does so. But you do not need an smtp daemon then. If you want that
> mail to be routed over your network (or to other networks) you'll
> probably configure that after a clean install - and notice that you have
> to enable that daemon.

The original mail stated "The desktop image no longer installs sendmail
by default."

It seems to me there is a great deal of confusion in this thread as to
what exactly that means. One interpretation is that this means local
mail no longer works. This would be a problem.

Another is that I merely lost the ability to use my own box as an SMTP
first-hop relay for internet-bound mail. This is probably less of a
problem, since if I hit 'send' in Thunderbird and get back an error that
localhost did not accept the connection, I will probably notice very
quickly that I might now need to install a daemon. As long as this
doesn't affect important things like cron/logwatch/smartctl/etc that
might have no other way of notifying the user that something is wrong,
this should be okay.

If someone could clear this up, it would help.

--
Matthew
"You know what Microsoft's problem really is? They've lost the ability