please deactivate services by default!

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Fri Sep 26 10:11:50 UTC 2008

Dnia 2008-09-24, o godz. 22:32:57 nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> napisał(a):

> Am Mittwoch, den 24.09.2008, 22:13 +0200 schrieb Christoph Höger:
> > 1. sendmail: starts way too slow, is not usefull for any normal desktop
> > user I know. Making it usefull requires configuration so I assume
> > wohever uses that service _can_ activate it.
>
> How will you get emails from logwatch and errors from your cron scripts?

You don't need daemon running for that, I think. When I cared, cron used
sendmail (the executable binary), which delivers locally (the default is still
to simply deliver to /var/spool/mail/root) without connecting to any daemon.
Has that changed recently?

Unless you use an alias to forward root's mail to some other server, in which
case it will never leave the mail queue. But that's just one new step required
to make that kind of non-default setup work.

Lam