please deactivate services by default!

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Sep 26 15:37:24 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> said:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:48:37AM +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
> > > I think a part of the startup hit is from rebuilding aliases
> > > unconditionally.  That should be considered a bug and removed from the
> > > sendmail init script (or at least changed to check if aliases is newer
> > > than aliases.db before calling).
> > if [ aliases -nt aliases.db ]; then
> > fi
>
> What if aliases includes other files?

If somebody knows how to reconfigure sendmail for multiple alias files,
they really should know that (by default) sendmail requires you to
rebuild the aliases file when you make changes.  IMHO the same really
goes for all the .db files (e.g. virtusertable, mailertable, etc.); the
init script really should not be rebuilding anything.

Do these people that know about /etc/aliases but not newaliases restart
sendmail every time they change /etc/aliases?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>