please deactivate services by default!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 20:56:48 UTC 2008

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:38:34 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote
>
>> Surely the SMTP server isn't absolutely required to be on localhost?
>> I never send any mail via localhost SMTP, it's all done through my
>> company's mail servers or the Google ones for personal mail.
>
> Unfortunately, sendmail isn't just a program, it's an API. Calling
> /usr/lib/sendmail has been the way to get mail out (whereever out
> is) in UNIX for, well, as long as sendmail exists, which is quite some
> time.

Yes, it seems odd that it bothers someone now when computers are orders
of magnitude faster than when this scheme was designed.

> That does not mean that it has to be "the" sendmail, of course.
>
> Oh, and LSB requires that it's there.

Postfix is probably the only alternative that has all of the expected
functionality, but really the effort should be focused on the only real
issue here which is that starting the daemon can cause a visible delay
at boot time - and there are several easy fixes for that.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com