please deactivate services by default!

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Sep 28 20:17:50 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:38:34 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote

[...]

> >> Unfortunately, sendmail isn't just a program, it's an API. Calling
> >> /usr/lib/sendmail has been the way to get mail out (whereever out
> >> is) in UNIX for, well, as long as sendmail exists, which is quite some
> >> time.

> > Yes, it seems odd that it bothers someone now when computers are orders of
> > magnitude faster than when this scheme was designed.

Disks aren't /that/ much faster, and are much bigger, so the access time has
stayed roughly the same.

[...]

> Seems like doing an IO heavy task like this will no longer be much of
> an issue with a parallel init type startup.

Parallel init is still limited by IO-heavy tasks. All I've seen about
"parallel service startup" is that is makes almost no difference.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513