unfrozen repo somewhere?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Sep 29 01:19:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 14:31 -0400, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 11:11 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > > Hello,
>
> > > I understand why rawhide should be frozen at some points,
>
> > Openly said, I don't understand this. To me, these freezes are a defect
> > in Rel-Eng's procedures, which could easily be overcome, if they wanted
> > to.
>
> What Rel-Eng wants is that the rawhide snapshot that Is To Be Fedora-<next>
> gets beaten to a pulp by us rawhideans. Yes, I'd also like for the
> rollercoaster ride to continue, but there is no way around that us crazy
> bunch needs a little gentle leading to help out stabilize the next
> release. Plus I can imagine that most (all?) developers are concentrating
> on that job, so there are not many hands free to work of pushing the
> envelope forward in any case.

What I would like to see it Rel-Eng to adopt the development principles,
most other developments apply:

Decouple "product development" (here: FC<N+1>) development from bleeding
edge "unstable/experimental" "head development" (here: rawhide).

To achieve this, most projects first branch a "release branch" and work
on this "release branch" to stabilize it before release/product
deployment.

I.e. instead of bringing "head development" and "maintenance of released
products on hold" (aka. freezes), I'd recommend Rel-Eng to branch
FC<N+1>.

Ralf