unfrozen repo somewhere?

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Sep 29 05:26:25 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 23:51 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > > Needs more hands. Starves the "product development" of developers and
> > > testers. Was the idea in Linux before 2.6, was abandoned for exactly the
> > > above reasons.

> > Yeah ... when it's time to ship a release, you need a forcing function
> > to encourage people to test-and-fix-bugs, rather than develop-cool-new-
> > features.

> Correct.

> >   Branching early encourages people to ignore the release and
> > do the latter.

> Well, I don't agree.
>
> IMO, branching encourages "early adopter end-users to try sneak
> previews" and to stay away from the "bleeding edge aiming at
> developers".

Needs some data to back it up. BTW, data for other classes of development
efforts (smaller scale, less developers, slower progress, ...) don't
necessarily apply (but would be useful).

[...]

> > There are certainly a small number of open source projects that have
> > enough popularity and enough ensuing manpower-and-expertise to make a go
> > of this approach.

> Small number of projects? Probably a matter of perspective ;)

You' have to provide data to back up your perspective then.

> >   To imagine that it's workable for the majority of
> > projects is to demonstrate lack of connection to reality.

> Pardon, but you probably can relate, why I have to disagree on this.
>
> I would turn this argument around: The apparent lack of quality of the
> distro, the amount of bureaucracy and ineffectiveness the Fedora
> approach cause are a living proof for a non-functional approach.

How do you measure "distro quality", "amount of bureacracy" (and how much
of that is "too much"), "effectiveness"?

I'd say the fact that we are discussing this shows that the qualility is at
least decent enough for serious consideration. Others I can't really see
what you mean, so I can't comment. In any case, this would need to be
contrasted with other distros for a valid discussion.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513