PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin replacing codeina

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 16:30:20 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 11:32 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> I have one minor concern here. Currently, codeina gives users a pointer to a
>> location where they can get codecs from, in the case where they aren't
>> supported within the Fedora repositories. While pointing people to Fluendo to
>> buy codec packs isn't exactly the greatest feature to preserve, we at least
>> offer a solution to folks following a clean install. So far as I can tell,
>> this PK solution does nothing for the user if they haven't already configured
>> a 3rd-party repository where the necessary codec might be available. *I* know
>> where to find that stuff and make this solution work as expected, but a new
>> user might not, meaning the search would fail, and they'd think there's no way
>> to play back their WMV crapola, complain loudly, etc., so this would be
>> something of a regression from F9, IMO. Of course, if there's actually
>> something in there that says "hey, you need to set up a 3rd-party repo and/or
>> you can get codecs from Fluendo", then no problem.
>>

> Which is, in fact, the whole point.

Apparently not, based on Richard's reply. ;)

> Codeina meant that fedora was
> endorsing and encouraging the software fluendo offered. That was the
> problem, imo.

I agree that endorsing and encouraging non-free codec usage, particularly from
  a 3rd-party charging money for them, is sub-optimal for a distro all about
Freedom. However, we got a big thumbs up when we started including Codeina, as
it makes life much easier for end-users, while also educating them a bit. If
we remove that, I think we're right back to everyone bitching about Fedora
being user-unfriendly wrt codecs.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com