Computerized Adaptive Math Program

Christopher David Desjardins cddesjardins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 17:09:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is off-topic.  If someone could point me to the right
forum I'd be happy to post this there.
Anyways, my name is Chris Desjardins and I am Ph.D. student at the
University of Minnesota and I'm interested in computerized adaptive
testing/software.  For my dissertation, I'm interested in the use of
Bayesian approaches in item response theory.  My reason for posting to
this list is that I am interested in developing a math software program,
primarily geared towards the XO laptops, that would use algorithms that
I develop to be adaptive and essentially create an artificial
intelligence where the software learns to adapt more to the student and
gives them more individualized instruction with the hope that this would
increase student achievement.

Now I can't really program but I'd like to develop a program in
python/GTK with an open source license so that it could be available for
students that need the most help with mathematics and could be easily
altered to adapt to different environments (cultures, languages, etc).
I was curious if anyone out here would be interested in helping me with
some of the programming.  This project is in it's infancy.
Thanks and I'm sorry if this is way off-topic.

Cheers,
Chris Desjardins