NetworkManager-vpnc gnome-keyring problem after F9 update

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 02:53:24 UTC 2008

Today I did a pile of F9 updates for the first time since September
13th.  The update log is attached.

After rebooting I found that NetworkManager caused gnome-keyring to
pop-up those "Always Allow" dialogs for all keys that it wanted to
access.  I had to click "Always Allow" on every key again.  It
successfully connected to WPA, but failed immediately to connect using
NetworkManager-vpnc.

/var/log/messages contains the following as I attempted to connect with
vpnc a few times in a row.

Sep 29 22:18:02 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  Starting VPN service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc'...
Sep 29 22:18:02 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc' started
(org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc), PID 5152
Sep 29 22:18:02 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc' just appeared, activating connections
Sep 29 22:18:05 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin state
changed: 3
Sep 29 22:18:05 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN connection
'RHVPN' (Connect) reply received.
Sep 29 22:18:05 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin state
changed: 6
Sep 29 22:18:05 newcaprica NetworkManager: <WARN>
connection_state_changed(): Could not process the request because no VPN
connection was active.
Sep 29 22:18:09 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin state
changed: 3
Sep 29 22:18:09 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN connection
'RHVPN' (Connect) reply received.
Sep 29 22:18:09 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin state
changed: 6
Sep 29 22:18:09 newcaprica NetworkManager: <WARN>
connection_state_changed(): Could not process the request because no VPN
connection was active.
Sep 29 22:18:13 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin state
changed: 3
Sep 29 22:18:13 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN connection
'RHVPN' (Connect) reply received.
Sep 29 22:18:13 newcaprica NetworkManager: <info>  VPN plugin state
changed: 6
Sep 29 22:18:13 newcaprica NetworkManager: <WARN>
connection_state_changed(): Could not process the request because no VPN
connection was active.
Sep 29 22:18:35 newcaprica console-kit-daemon[2830]: WARNING: Couldn't
read /proc/4855/environ: Error reading file '/proc/4855/environ': No
such process

Then I ran gnome-keyring-manager and this weird message showed up.

Sep 29 22:25:08 newcaprica gnome-keyring-daemon[4626]: couldn't allocate
secure memory to keep passwords and or keys from being written to the disk

I eventually figured out that if I deleted the password key from
gnome-keyring-manager, then NetworkManager-vpnc's next attempt asked me
for a new password.  Upon typing the new password it succeeded and is
working now.

I am posting this here because I do not have time to attempt to
reproduce the problem and write a useful detailed bug report.  I hope
others who see similar bad behavior can share their experiences and
someone else can write a detailed report from this.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com