Borked system after last nights rawhide update

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 08:42:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

I did a big update last night from rawhide and other than the Noveau problem
with GDM which has been updated, I didn't notice any problems. Then my system
crashed...

When I rebooted inittab was missing and udev was unable to find anything (I
had loads of udev failures for finding anything within /dev).

As yet, I'm unable to get that machine to reboot and return to a desktop (it
will get through to being able to log in, but as it can't find any of the
groups or users, it can't be logged in).

I can boot from a RIPLinux disc and mount the drive, so everything is still
there (which is good).

Any ideas on how to fix this problem? I've not seen any other reports on here
so far.

TTFN

Paul

--