future f12 test days

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 2 15:00:51 UTC 2009

Hi all,

so testdays are a really cool way of testing feature progress during an
alpha/beta cycle. I guess upstream projects really love all those corner
cases being tested.

So as Paul stated
(http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?p=1577)

The wiki is public now, which makes it possible to test features (and
post the results) for everybody not only FAS members. This is definitely
a good thing, but I guess there are a few more points to make that work:

a) we should _always_ have USB images ready. That should lower the
testing costs to zero.

b) we need public attention (aka PR), I already tried to get that into
some german online media and phoronix for nouveau test day, but with
little success (only prolinux.de reacted). I guess no one will make a
headline for every testday, so it would be a good idea to bring
attention to the test days (and the schedule) in the alpha release notes
(and pounce the media on those). Some ambassadors having PR experience
here?

c) make the test cases as automated as possible. Offer sending smolt
profile (smoltGUI) and run test cases directly from the desktop. Also We
should add a link (or the document itself) about how to test what and
why to the desktop. If it's possible for the test generated results
should also be posted automagically to the results page, or, if tests
fail, bug reports could be created by bugbuddy.

So that are my 2ct. I would come up with a prototype for c) but
currently, I've got only very limited time because I am working on my
thesis. I have to see if can do something after Easter, bit if someone
finds that idea useful and has some spare time, please don't hesitate to
start work!

regards

Christoph