rawhide report: 20090404 changes

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 12:43:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:06:45AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On 04/04/2009 08:58 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Rawhide Report wrote:
>>> tigervnc-0.0.90-0.3.1.20090403svn3751.fc11
>>> * Fri Apr 03 2009 Adam Tkac<atkac redhat com>
>>> 0.0.90-0.4.20090403svn3751
>> [snip]
>>> - use built-in libjpeg (SSE2/MMX accelerated encoding on x86 platform)
>>
>> Shouldn't this be added to the system libjpeg instead, so all programs
>> benefit?
>
> Not only that but security updates for JPEG implementation flaws will
> require vnc updates as well.

Right you are, get that improvements to upstream will be the best
solution. Unfortunately no upstream for libjpeg is active so we can't
share TigerVNC code easily.

There were no security issue in libjpeg for ten years (please fix me
if I'm incorrect) so I don't think that vnc will suffer due builtin
jpeg. As written on
http://www.mail-archive.com/tigervnc-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00225.html
TigerVNC consumes approximately 40% less CPU when it uses builtin jpeg
so it is a valid reason, I think.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.