Looking for reviews swaps

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Apr 5 18:26:53 UTC 2009

Hans de Goede wrote:
> On 04/05/2009 06:56 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've just packaged this cool recently set free old style
>>> adventure game drascula, including music and subtitles
>>> in French, German, Spanish and Italian.
>>
>> Well I am reading this in drascula-music's readme.txt:
>>
>>  > 3) You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes
>>  > reselling the
>>  > game as an individual item.
>>
>> Sounds like a "non-free" package to me.
>>

> The license for this package has been vetted ok by Spot,

This clause definitely doesn't threat Fedora, because Fedora doesn't
ship the "the game itself", but as part of a larger bundle."

This clause only threatens those people who want to sell the package
=> IMO, this is a master piece of a "non-commercial use only clause".

> that is the
> readme.txt contains the *exact* same license text as many other
> games set free in cooperation between the original right holders and
> the scummvm project,
Their legitmate right .... it doesn't mean anything wrt. to the OSI or
other OSS working principles.

 >and this license has been approved for Fedora,
> see:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-November/msg00020.html
Well, IMO legal has failed or didn't review carefully.

They likely looked at whether this license is threatening Red Hat. They
likely didn't look at "freedom of Software".

Ralf